Monday, November 4, 2013

A Smattering of Poems - a poem


Source: www.google.com
Source: www.google.com
Source: www.google.com
Source: www.google.com
Source: www.google.com

A Smattering of Poems



A smattering of poems
and narratives, too
thrown into the fire


The paper's edges curl up
become scorched then
engulfed by hot flames


Each word one by one
melted away; swallowed up
by an engorged inferno


The writer's scrawl
line by line, page by page
slowly consumed and turned to ashes


Who has done this?
He laughs -- his jealousy,
his revenge so complete


I stand stupefied and transfixed
numbed by the awful conflagration
that imbues my senses


My hands sift through
hot cremations and embers
of dead words and sentences


So painfully yet joyously created
by hot sweat and brow
thoughts divulged and nurtured


My Masterpieces
as precious as Michelangelo's
forever gone from posterity


Copyright (c) 2013 Suzannah Wolf Walker all rights reserved



Pin It
See all 6 photos
Source: www.google.com
 Last updated on June 10, 2013
Useful {3} • Funny  • Awesome {8} • Beautiful {7} • Interesting {5}

Comments 21 comments

Faith Reaper profile image
Faith Reaper 4 months ago from southern USALevel 8 Commenter
Wow, Suzzette, I love your smatterings here!!!
Very intense and thought-provoking.
Great imagery too.
Voted up ++++ and sharing
(will return to share, buttons not appearing on my end)
Blessings, Faith Reaper
Status: Approved.
 ip: 216.226.180.3
suzettenaples profile image
suzettenaples 4 months ago from Naples, FLHub Author
Thanks so much Faith. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this. I hate to have to admit this, but this is actually a true story. My ex-husband (one reason why he is ex) actually did this to me. He took all my short story and poetry writings from college and burned them. I was devastated, but finally got over it. Life goes on.
Status: Visible.
 ip: 198.228.228.177
marcoujor profile image
marcoujor 4 months ago from Jeffersonville PALevel 7 Commenter
Suzette,
This is powerful and stirs many emotions in me. I am sorry this is written by experience, yet I see how strongly you have emerged as a result.
Voted UP and UABI. Hugs, Maria
Status: Approved.
 ip: 68.82.187.2
suzettenaples profile image
suzettenaples 4 months ago from Naples, FLHub Author
Thank you Maria. I appreciate those comments. It was a dreadful time in our marriage - hence a divorce. It happened long ago. At the time I was devastated but as I said before, life goes on. But, the poem represents the nature of revenge which many of us may have experienced at some point in our lives. I don't know. It was just time for it to be said. Thanks for the votes!
Status: Visible.
 ip: 198.228.228.169
epigramman profile image
epigramman 4 months agoLevel 8 Commenter
It's quite a mystique isn't it Suzette - the writer's quest - one of the main reasons I write is because I have so many mixed feelings - even with my funny ones I guess it's a form of therapy or creative purging or a catharsis.
Your writing here makes me think and feel deeply and that is a wonderful place to be courtesy of the lady author who penned this with the golden pen, the beautiful heart and the probing mind.
Hallelujah I love her so - once sang Brother Ray Charles
lake erie time 2:25pm from Colin and his cats on another rough looking wet day in September - yikes, and here I thought it was June, lol
See you on FB with a link and a share!
Status: Approved.
 ip: 174.93.112.106
billybuc profile image
billybuc 4 months ago from Olympia, WALevel 8 Commenter
Very nice work, Suzette, and I love the Hemingway quote at the end.
Status: Approved.
 ip: 50.135.135.58
suzettenaples profile image
suzettenaples 4 months ago from Naples, FLHub Author
Epi: I write because I know I can get my emotions out in an acceptable way. Not that I want to bore you people with my personal stories, but it helps me to give a positive creative form to those emotions. Not everything I write has happened to me. I also have quite an imagination and imaginary world I write about, too. The truth is I have never been to Cuba nor even danced a tango ever in my life. lol But, writing for me and it sounds for you to be cathartic. May be you have experienced the life you write about in all those poems! lol See you on FB
Status: Visible.
 ip: 198.228.228.152
suzettenaples profile image
suzettenaples 4 months ago from Naples, FLHub Author
Bill: Thank you so much. I appreciate your comments. I love Hemingway also as a writer and I think I tend to see life as he does sometimes. Although I don't plan to commit suicide. Those deep dark moods of his I don't have. I have thought of doing some hubs on his writings, but they are overwhelming. Thanks for the visit. Most appreciated.
Status: Visible.
 ip: 198.228.228.152
Eiddwen profile image
Eiddwen 4 months ago from WalesLevel 8 Commenter
Brilliant Suzette ;I loved it and vote up.
Eddy.
Status: Approved.
 ip: 86.112.105.172
suzettenaples profile image
suzettenaples 4 months ago from Naples, FLHub Author
Eddy: Thank you and thank you for reading this. I know it isn't a 'fun' topic to read about. Appreciate your visit.
Status: Visible.
 ip: 198.228.228.161
mckbirdbks profile image
mckbirdbks 4 months ago from Emerald Wells, Just off the crossroads,TexasLevel 6 Commenter
You have poured your soul onto the page. What a treat tonight. That Hemingway fellow finds himself in good company.
Status: Approved.
 ip: 108.38.36.104
suzettenaples profile image
suzettenaples 4 months ago from Naples, FLHub Author
Thank you Mike. You are too kind. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this. I have always loved Hemingway's writing and I guess I see the world as he does to some extent. I appreciated your visit.
Status: Visible.
 ip: 198.228.228.163
MrsBrownsParlour profile image
MrsBrownsParlour 4 months ago from Chicagoland, IllinoisLevel 7 Commenter
I had a feeling reading this that it might be based in real life, and I see from the comments that it was. My sincere heartfelt sympathy. I understand so well the need to turn that kind of thing into art for catharsis and for the sake of re-telling your own story and to that, I say "Bravo!" back to you!!
I have to share too that I did the same thing to myself (ripped up, not burned though) all of my life's poetry and creative writings one day during my awful marriage...I felt like I was noone and nothing and it hurt so much that I destroyed or gave away almost everything that meant anything to me (a lifetime of jewelry too, even favorite things from childhood)...hard to explain but it felt like power at the time. So, I now have no access to my old writings either and in that, I can empathize.
You are making pearls from sand with this poem, which is better and sweeter than revenge ever could be. ~Lurana
Status: Approved.
 ip: 184.78.82.183
suzettenaples profile image
suzettenaples 4 months ago from Naples, FLHub Author
Lurana: This was a sad day. I came home from teaching to find him doing this. I nearly died. I didn't even know he knew where to find them, but he did. I feel for you too. Sometimes, when in despair, we do silly things. That is why divorce is so insidious. It creates a situation where all self-esteem and self-worth is put on the line and the emotional roller coaster one is on is insane. 'Pearls of sand' - you are so kind to say this and see it this way. I hadn't thought about it in just that way. Your unique insight is welcomed! Thanks so much.
Status: Visible.
 ip: 198.228.228.173
phdast7 profile image
phdast7 4 months ago from Atlanta, GeorgiaLevel 7 Commenter
Oh suzette, the things we live through....although at the time it does seem like we will die from the sheer pain and loss. A man who would do such a thing ought to be whipped and driven out of town by other men, but seldom does this take place. It is not revenge that our soul cries for, but I think at times we desperately need someone else to fight for justice on our behalf. am so, so sorry for the loss of your writing and for the loss of what I am sure you hoped and believed would be a good marriage.
Terrible marriages and terrible divorces are just that, terrible. I lasted years in a pretty awful marriage for the sake of the children, and truthfully I could not have supported them. By the time he decided to leave I was almost through school and was able to support us. That was 23 years ago, but the sense of loss, of what could have, should have been....I am not sure it ever goes away.
A starkly, beautiful poem. Theresa
Status: Approved.
 ip: 99.62.96.35
suzettenaples profile image
suzettenaples 4 months ago from Naples, FLHub Author
Theresa: I'm glad you understand so completely. Divorce is insidious and an awful thing to experience, but somehow we all get through it, though at the time, you do think you are going to die. Thanks so much for reading this and understanding my plight. I did survive!
Status: Visible.
 ip: 198.228.228.156
shanmarie profile image
shanmarie 4 months ago from TexasLevel 7 Commenter
Oh! I can feel this and see it as I read. I am so sorry you had to experience that. Must've felt like a part of you was burned as well. On the upside, you have this very real poem to show for it that others unfortunately can relate to, but maybe that is a sort of gift in itself.
Status: Approved.
 ip: 216.114.41.222
dreamseeker2 4 months ago
So sad an outcome! I had my diaries burned up out of revenge...so I can relate to this one!! To have any part of us destroyed by fire or other means is senseless, mean and shows the true character of the perpetrator. Sorry for you loss...on all accounts. But for the one who did it, he is best gone and out of your life! Voted this up!
Status: Approved.
 ip: 67.171.253.107
tobusiness profile image
tobusiness 4 months ago from bedfordshire, U.KLevel 7 Commenter
Suzette, this was so emotive!...It is the people closest to us who knows best where to stick the knife to cause the maximum amount pain. But we grow and learn, and hopefully emerge as a better, more enhanced person despite, and sometimes because of it.
Up and sharing.
Status: Approved.
 ip: 5.67.219.128
Gypsy Rose Lee profile image
Gypsy Rose Lee 2 months ago from Riga, LatviaLevel 8 Commenter
Voted up and awesome. Enjoyed the poetry and pics.
Status: Approved.
 ip: 91.105.12.112
suzettenaples profile image
suzettenaples 2 months ago from Naples, FLHub Author
Thanks Gypsy. Glad you enjoyed this!
Status: Visible.
 ip: 198.228.228.167
    suzettenaples profile image
    Post Comment
    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your Hubs or other sites.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment